“AGL has always been committed to the communities in which it works and invests, including Bogong and the surrounding areas.”
“Our success is shaped and measured not only by the financial outcomes of what we do, but by the social and environmental impact our decisions and actions have on the wider community.”
During the construction of the Bogong Power Station, AGL has worked closely with the local Bogong and Mount Beauty communities, as well as the Alpine Shire Council, to ensure that they received timely information about the project and were given every possible opportunity to become involved.
The entire construction program was tailored to be sensitive to the local environment; including bringing considerable economic, tourism, infrastructure and educational benefits to the local and surrounding communities, including:
- The creation of more than 200 local jobs
- The use of 140,000 tonnes of rock excavated from the site was used to upgrade the Bogong High Plains Road – an important transport route.
- Sponsorship of the Audax Alpine Classic, a non-competitive cycling event held annually on the roads surrounding Bright in regional Victoria. For more information on this event visit www.audax.org.au
- Sponsorship of the Kangaroo Hoppet, Australia’s premier long distance cross country ski race held at Falls Creek. For more information on this event visit www.hoppet.com.au
- Sponsorship of local football and netball teams.